Bkksitedotcom1H.jpg (19067 bytes)
          Back to Main | Other Provinces 

SriSanphet3L.jpg (16421 bytes)

SriSanphet4L.jpg (23757 bytes)

SriSanphet4M.jpg (19436 bytes)
Click for a large picture.

(Bangkoksite Photos taken on November 27, 1999
and lately on September 21, 2002).

Wat Phra Sri Sanphet (วัดพระศรีสรรเพชญ์)

The royal   palace was located here from the establishment of
Ayutthaya in the reign of King Ramathibodi 1 (1350 A.D.) to the reign
of King Sam Phraya (1448 A.D.). Later King Borommatrailokanat
ordered a wat to be built on this site in 1448 A.D. to be used as a
monastic area.

After the reign of King Borommatrailokanat, his son King Ramathibodi II,
ordered the construction for two chedis, one of which was kept the
ashes of his father and the other those of his brother, King Borom-
marachathirat III. Another chedi was built by order of King Borom-
rachanophuttangkun. It was similarly used to house royal remains
those of King Ramathibodi II.

See Video Clip (3 : 17 minutes)
Open Pop Up Video

        Dsc_0954M.JPG (20956 bytes) 
        Click for a large picture (New picture 21/9/02)

In 1499, a principal viharn was built. The following year, in 1500 A.D.,
King Ramathibodi II commanded the casting of a standing Buddha
image 16 meters high and covered with gold. This image, Phra
Buddha Chao Si Sanphet was the main object of veneration in the
royal viranra (hall of worship). After that time the ashes of members
of the royal family other than the kings were placed in small chedis
constructed at the site.

Wat Phra Si Sanphet was the royal chapel and as such did not
have a Sangavasa (no monks dwelt there). It was used for royal

When Ayutthaya was sacked in 1767 A.D. the gold which covered
was taken by the invaders. During his reign King Rama I (1782 -
1809 A.D.) of the Ratanakosin Period ordered the transfer of the
inner core of Phra Buddha Chao Si Sanphet from Ayutthaya to Wat
Phra Chetuphon in Bangkok, and had it placed in a chedi specially
built for the purpose. Another Buddha image of importance called
Phralokanat was also brought to this wat at about the same time.

(Information is from the Department of Fine Arts).                          

Back to Ayutthaya

Hit Counter
Since : November 30, 1999