Bkksitedotcom1H.jpg (19067 bytes)
           Ayutthaya
          Back to Main | Other Provinces 

WatRatchburana1L.jpg (21716 bytes)


WatRatchburana2L.jpg (21265 bytes)



(Bangkoksite Photos taken on November 27, 1999)

Wat Ratchburana (วัดราชบูรณะ)

In 1424 A.D. King Intharachathirat passed away. His two sons,
Chao Aye Phraya who reigned over Suphanburi, and Chao Yi
Phraya who reignned over Sanburi, met in battle as each desired
the throne. This took place at the approach to the Pa-Than bridge
and ended with the death of both sons. A third son, Chao Sam
Phraya came down from Phitsanulok and acceded to the throne
where upon he declared his intention to organize a funeral for
his father and his two brothers. Afterwards he ordered the building
of a wat, namely Wat Ratchaburana, at the site of the cremation
and at the place where his brothers fought and died. He has two
chedis created  in which to keep their ashed.

In September of 1957 A.D. looters dug into a two-level crypt
inside the main prang (Khmer-type tower) and stole a great
quantity of material. Police arrested some of these looters. The
Fine Arts Department proceeded to excavate the site and found
Buddha images and many artifacts made of gold. Among these
were a large number of votive tablets made of gold and lead. In
1958 A.D. the Fine Arts Department built a stairway so that one
could go down into the crypt and look at the paintings which
were also found there. Since the Buddha images and votive
tablets discovered in the crypt were very numerous, the ministers
of the government approved giving some of them to people who
had contributed to the building of the Chao Sam Phraya National
Museum, much of the collection in which was found at Wat
Ratchaburana.



(Information is from the Department of Fine Arts).                          

Back to Ayutthaya

   Hit Counter
Since : November 30, 1999