Building on the left of
this newly constructed
gate to China Town once was the famous
movie theatre callled "Odeon".
of Bangkok was former meant the area called
"Sampeng", started when the Chinese merchants moved
in 1780s after vacating the land where the Grand Palace
In 1863, King Mongkut commanded the construction of
New Road (or Charoen Krung Road) which runs over six
kilometers from the Royal Palace till it drops straight into
the Chao Phraya River, just south of Krung Thep Bridge now.
The Chinatown expanded along Charoen Krung, Krung
Kasem and the third road, the Yaowarat
Road which was
built between Charoen Krung and Sampeng.
Charoen Krung (New Road)
Wat Pathum Kongkha Wat Traimit Witthayaram