The Summer Palace
|Back to Main|
(Bangkoksite Photos taken on March 4, 2000).
The Royal palace at Bang Pa-In has a history dating back
to the 17th century. According to a chronicle of Ayutthaya,
King Prasat Thong (1629 - 1656) had a palace constructed
on Bang Pa-In island in the Chao Phraya River.
The King founded a monastery, Wat Chumphon Nikayaram,
on the land belonging to his mother on Bang Pa-In island,
and then had a pond dug and a palace built to the south of
that monastery. The chronicle records the name of only one
building, the Aisawan Thiphayaart Royal residence, which
was constructed in 1632, the year of the birth of his son,
the future King Narai (1656 - 1688). It is not known whether
the palace was in use till the fall of Ayutthaya in 1767.
The palace was revived by King Rama IV of the Chakri dynasty
(1851 - 1868), who has a temporary residence constructed on
the outer Island that because the site of the Neo-Gothic style
monastery, Wat Niwet Thamprawat, which was built by his
son and heir, King Chulalongkorn (Rama V).
The present-day royal palace dates from the reign of King
Chulalongkorn (1868 - 1919), when most of the buildings
standing today were constructed between 1872 - 1889.
Today the palace is used occasionally by their Majesties
King Bhumibol Adulyadej (Rama IX) and Queen Sirikit as a
residence and for holding receptions and banquets.
(Reference: Guide to the Bang Pa-In Palace)
Page | Brief History | Map | Ho Hem Monthian
Thewarat | Ho Withun Thasana
Phra Thinang Uthayan Phumisathian | Wehat Chamrun Hall | Monuments | Wat Niwettham Prawat | Other Sceneries
Since : March 8, 2000