Back to Main
Back to Kanchanaburi
Digital Photos taken on Sept. 25, 2005)
Bridge on the River Kwai is located in Kanchanaburi
Province, not far from the city center. This bridge was first built as
a part of the railway between Thailand and Burma in 1942.
During the World War II, the Japanese wanted to seek to shorten the supply lines between Japan and Burma in preparation for an eventual attact on British India. The Japanese started work on a railway from Thailand to Burma through the river valley for a distance of about 400 kilometers or 249 miles. Constructions were split into many different areas and carried out simultaneously. The Japanese enforced roughly 250,000 Asian laborers and 61,000 Allied prisoners-of-war to construct 260 kms of rail on the Thai side, approaching the Three Pagodas Pass on the border. Unfortunately, it is estimated that 100,000 Asian laborors
and 16,000 Allied prisoners lost their lives during that period due to
many factors, such as : starvation, exhaustion, diseases, and especially
malaria fever (now it is safe!).
In Kanchanaburi, graves mark 6,982 of the Allied soldiers. There are
two cemeteries, the larger one is on the main road nearly opposite
the railway station; and the second is at Chungkai which is across
the river on the banks of the Kwai Noi.
The original bridge is no longer exist, and the present one is for railway use and allow people and motorcycle to cross. Today there are trains
running from Kanchanaburi to the terminus at Nam Tok station for a distance of 50 kilometers (31 miles). This journey may be one of the
very exciting thing to do for tourists.
Bridge over the River Kwai is world famous from the Hollywood film made long time ago.
Special Tourist Train
Since : September 26, 2005
Latest Update : May 4, 2009